My 19year old son is looking for someone close to his own age (18-28ish) to support him in achieving his dreams and aspirations. He is a non speaking autistic individual who uses an alternative mode of communication called S2C (spell to communicate). He fully comprehends but can’t respond via talking and his body doesn’t always do what he wants it to do! He uses a letter board that displays the alphabet and he spells out his words instead of saying them.
He requires a friend and ally who will presume competence and respect his intelligence while providing him with the direct support necessary for communication regulation, computer accessibility assistance for online high school courses, assist with swimming, assistance with fine motor and gross motor tasks necessary for daily living and facilitate participation in his community.
Requirements and Responsibilities:
* Have a love of nature and being outdoors.
* Enjoy swimming
* Be at least 18 years of age and have reliable transportation.
* Assistance with daily living skills such as food preparation and basic hygiene skills.
* Consent to and pass a State Background Check.
* Be legally eligible to work in the United States.
* Be free of convictions or founded allegations of abuse.
* Minimum of high school diploma or demonstrated equivalent.
* Experience or sincere interest in working with people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities within a setting promoting community integration, normalization, and treatment of all persons with dignity and respect.
* To actively participate in developing and implementing plans to meet his unique needs.
* Document all activity relative to the daily activities.
In addition to competitive wages $24.00-$26.00/hr, paid training, a casual dress code, and fun environments, provider agency will provide excellent benefit package for full-time employees: medical/Rx, dental, and vision coverage; paid-time off; retirement savings plan with employer contribution.
*This is currently a part time position with a possibility of full time in the future.
Flexible 2-3 hour shifts. Must be available on most weekends and some weekday evenings.
Interested individuals are encouraged to check out the following website links that describes S2C (spelling to communicate) and videos of other non speaking autistic individuals who are on a similar communication path as my son….
Dispelling Common Myths about Nonspeaking People – I-ASC
Please reach out to me for more information or to apply for this position!